Taking high key photos and low key photos are not that easy. First, you have to understand the definition, and know to control the light setting. It is a challenge for you that to keep most details in the high-key lighting and low-key light photos. In other words, In a high key photo, there should not keep black color. Same to low key photos, you shouldn’t keep white color.
This is Zone System
The picture above shows:
- When you are taking a high key photo, all the color should be between zone 6 to 9.
- When you are taking a low key photo, all the color should be between zone 1 to 4.
- Zone 0 means pure black, and Zone 10 means pure white.
- Mood is a subjective idea.
- Photographers refer to the key or brightness key instead of mood.
- No one factor determines key.
- Subject matter.
Low Key Lighting
- Large prominent area of dark
- Dignified in mood
- requires more side and black lighting
High Key Lighting
- Light and bright
- Artwork create with this type of lighting pre often describe as youthful – happy mood
From High key to low key, the energy has changed. High key photos give audiences a sense of honest and sad. But low key photos give a sense of simple, bright, and kind of future.